Automation of daily tasks is a recent concept that intrigues many companies. Among the visions of autonomous vehicles, there are the ideas of smart cities and their infrastructure. The main ideas they share are self-driving cars and shared vehicles.
These are set to revolutionize the way we navigate through places. Such concepts will make an entire city smart, by changing the infrastructure so that it can adopt autonomous vehicles and road systems.
This technology will make safer roads, and there will be fewer accidents and human errors while driving. Autonomous driving does not need the decision of the driver; this means it can save lives.
This advancement is giving the possibility to get a closer look at a smart city in the future years. Let’s explore more about how IoT, autonomous cars, and smart cities will work together.
Possible Use of IoT in a Smart City:
The number of active sensors is already big. The most interesting part here is to combine these things and expand the potential for the usage of innovations. Let’s check out some examples of IoT used in the smart city concepts.
- Sensors implemented at different points of infrastructure can detect emergencies.
- Energy source meters such as electricity, gas, and water will send the consumption results to the providers all by themselves. This means the providers won’t have to take a manual reading.
- Smart street lights will adapt to the luminous power to change in different situations. For instance, it will glow brighter when the weather becomes gloomy.
- Smart garbage bin sensors will detect the fill level and transfer data to disposal services for the optimization of collection roads.
- With the help of IoT speed bumps detection will be easier while driving on the road. It will bring a better driving experience and there will be decreased road accidents.
- Self-driving vehicles are the main attractions of a smart city. Driverless public transportation will reduce carbon emissions, congestion and it will decrease accidents which is mostly related to human errors.
- Intelligent transport systems or ITS are used to control road signs, info boards, car number plate recognition, data flow integration, and traffic lights.
- As for security concerns face recognition systems are highly popular. They analyze the information from the cameras installed in the city. This technology can locate criminals or assist in the search of missing people.
- Intelligent parking solutions can register the leave of the driver, so there are free spaces available for other cars.
- Electric water, power, and other resource consumption will optimize automatically so that it never harms the environment.
- Residents will get notifications electronically about common services. Like government agencies and their service information will be available automatically.
Changing the way cities now look:
Cities of the future days will be transformed thoroughly with the advancement of IoT and autonomous vehicles. Today, the cities are mostly human-centered, but the advancements of autonomous vehicles will reduce congestion, increase road capacity, even in the most crowded areas.
It is expected that driverless vehicles will change the look of the infrastructures of the cities. For example, traffic lights will not be required as they were designed by humans.
Instead, advanced vehicle machines will determine the driving ideas and be more efficient. Autonomous cars are also connected with cloud systems. There will be smart roads with sensors, right signage, and lining that will be useful for vehicles. It will make the driving experience safer for passengers.
No more parking hassles:
If you are looking for a less crowded parking spot, you will have than with the new technologies of autonomous parking spaces. Garages will move outside the downtown locations, which will happen with the trend of shared mobility.
Moreover, self-driving cars will use narrow driving lanes and maintain them in a useful way. This way parking areas will be optimized to store more vehicles.
Connectivity is the main thing:
From traffic, cone to speed bumps the autonomous driving infrastructure is all about connectivity. These systems have surpassed the need for fuel as well. This will happen because gasoline would not require in the age of connectivity.
These vehicles will bring lots of IoT and sensors to modern cities. Also, the 5G network will allow the transmission of huge amounts of data. The steering wheel will be replaced by the desires of the users.
The use of 5G will bring a revolution to the creation of smart cities. Speed bumps, smart roads, autonomous vehicles, and other efficient technologies will bring the end to human error.